Staff Development Grants: Staff Career Development Grant
Staff Career Development Grant
The Ohio State University is committed to the professional and career development of staff. This grant provides staff with an opportunity to further their growth and development. Grants of up to $1,000 for individuals and $1,500 for groups of two or more people will be awarded. Grants are awarded for education and training costs related to the applicant’s job and/or career goals.
Examples of what the grant can be used toward, include, but are not limited to:
- Registration fees for conferences and seminars
- GED classes
- Tuition costs for certification or re-certification
- Books and materials for courses
- Online workshops or webinars
- Travel expenses
- Expenses to provide development opportunities to multiple people, including units, organizations or groups, such as speaker fees, location costs or material costs
Please note: Awards may be considered taxable. If you have specific questions regarding whether or not your professional development opportunity is considered taxable, please contact Payroll Services at 614-292-2311.
Applicants must meet one of the following conditions:
- Must be employed as a regular full or part-time Classified Civil Service or Administrative and Professional staff member with at least two continuous years of service with Ohio State.
- Former Ohio State University staff member with at least two continuous years of service and currently unemployed due to the elimination of job position within the past year.
Faculty, student employees and staff on temporary appointments are not eligible for this grant.
Applications will be accepted beginning July 1, 2017
Application Deadline: July 31, 2017
Notification of Grant Recipients: September 5, 2017
Funding Period: September 2017 - April 2018
Submit your completed application via email as an attachment (no more than 5 pages total) to email@example.com.
This is a competitive process and all applications are reviewed by a selection committee. Grants are awarded based on available funds and the following:
- Complete applications, which include required budget information and appropriate documentation
- Demonstrated benefits to ALL of the following: the individual/group, the individual’s/group’s department/college, and the university as a whole.
A rubric will be used to provide fair rating of applicants based on criteria set in the application. Each application will be reviewed by 2-3 people.
The grant funds must be used for activities that occur during specified funding periods. Grants of up to $1,000 for individuals or $1,500 for groups will be awarded at the discretion of the Staff Career Development Grants selection committee. Applicants who have not previously received a grant are given priority consideration. Retroactive funding is not provided.
The Staff Career Development Grant Program is administered by The Office of Human Resources in partnership with the University Staff Advisory Committee (USAC).
Congratulations on receiving the Staff Career Development Grant award. All funds are granted on a reimbursement basis only. Reimbursements will only be provided for items specified in the budget submitted with your formal grant application. Upon completion of your activity, the SCDG Survey must be completed to receive reimbursement. Original and official receipts are required for all expenses to be reimbursed.